Sunday, July 25, 2010

"You are Welcome!"

"You are welcome" is a phrase that Ugandans use to welcome their guests.  They certainly have welcomed Steve and I, and we do indeed feel that we are welcome!  I am posting a video of some school girls singing a welcome to us when we visited them last week.  These young women are students at the Stella Matutina Secondary School.  It is a boarding school for girls run by a very committed Order of Sisters.  I will write more about the school later.  For now, just enjoy the visuals and the a capella welcome!  

Well, it looks like I'm out of luck to share that video with you!  It has been uploading for the past 30 minutes while I've brushed my teeth, read a book, started writing my next blog, and packing for another road trip, and it has still not completed uploading.  Too bad, it is a lot of fun to watch and would surely have made you smile!  

Access to the Internet has been limited, so I have not had the time to really learn how to use this blog.  Friends have asked for photos, and I am finally learning how to upload them, though the formatting still eludes me.  Anyway, here are a couple of photos I thought you might enjoy.  
Car windshield being transported on streets of Kampala.
Source of the White Nile where it leaves the waters of Lake Victoria.
Steve shaking hand of Congolese boatman now living in Jinja, Uganda
Hoima

I have also added some photos to older blogs below. Many thanks go out to our predecessor, Dale and Gann Herman for making many of these photos and video clips available to us.  Our camera batteries died after we left Hoima, and we couldn't find good quality batteries until we returned to Kampala!

1 comment:

  1. Marge--Habari! You and Steve sound like you've been there forever. Your Kampala picture and the one of the village house in Hoima make me realize how much I miss the African, especially the Ugandan, life. Have you been able to use any of the vocabulary words that I taught you?
    Just to let you know -- life doesn't change that much here. Our furloughs ended July 1. Arnold released another Executive Order about 2 hours ago reinstituting them. ah well, at least we still have jobs.

    ReplyDelete